SETTING: Orange High School, Orange NSW (Australia)
The Class of 1961 of Orange High School had its origins in many places. The majority started back at the "old" High School site, at the corner of Sale and March Streets, Orange, in January 1957, when around 90 students began their secondary education. Some came from the Orange Rural School (Intermediate High), which shared part of the Orange Public School site at the corner of Sale and Kite Streets. A small number came from other towns and the central schools in villages around Orange.
In mid-1959 Orange High School opened on the current Woodward Street site, adding the students from Orange Rural School and becoming one of the largest High Schools in New South Wales. We all remember the truckloads of school equipment being moved to the new school, and the time we took to accustom ourselves to the facilities. What we all liked (NOT!!) in winter were all the architectural features that obviously had been designed for a school in a much warmer climate.
Mr Leo D. O'Sullivan had replaced Mr D R Blakemore as School Principal at the start of 1959, and he had the job of creating an ethos for the new school while not losing sight of the history and traditions of the two schools.
Along that five year journey to the 1961 Leaving Certificate, students came and left our classes. We acknowledge those friends who shared the happy, sad and serious moments with us at that great public school, even though they didn't make it to the 1961 Leaving Certificate at Orange High School with us. We are building a list of those Contemporaries on this site also.
|The Class of 1961. The content on this page includes:
* A class photo of the final Leaving Certificate group
* A list of class members and contemporaries, with email addresses where known
* Some records and information from the OHS Magazine The Mirror.
|Class Photos of our year group, from 1957 to the 1961 Prefects.
More photos are required (with names if possible, please!) to add to this page.
|In 2001, we held a Reunion at Orange, with a celebratory Dinner at a winery restaurant, and then a breakfast the following morning enjoying the hospitality of Joan (Wheeler) and Barry Dean. Photos taken by Peter Smee and Jess (Hocking) Burke are available for viewing here.
|More recently, our Reunion weekend in September 2011 - almost exactly 50 Years since our Leaving Certificate Examinations, this time for a motel restaurant dinner and a repeat of the Dean family-hosted breakfast. It was a very successful and enjoyable weekend, with 27 out of the Leaving Certificate class of 56 present, plus quite a number of our contemporaries and two teachers! Unfortunately Orange produced its usual variable weather and the Sunday morning was cool and wet. A selection of the photographs taken by Peter Smee, Bruce Fairhall, Carolyn (Dean) Thornberry, Toot (Ridley) Keegan, Gwen (Whiley) Vidler and Central West Photo News (used with permission) are available now.
And next: Will someone start organising a 60 year Reunion?